Ironworkers Local Union 732 was charters on November 14th. 1950. As a mixed local. Its purpose for being located in Pocatello Idaho was to support the growing number of Phosphate mines and refining plants in the area as well as the INL, a government reservation located in the southeastern Idaho desert. At 890 square miles (569,135 acres), INL is roughly 85 percent the size of Rhode Island. It was established in 1949 as the National Reactor Testing Station, and for many years was the site of the largest concentration of nuclear reactors in the world. Fifty-two nuclear reactors were built, including the U.S. Navy's first prototype nuclear propulsion plant. During the 1970s, the laboratory's mission broadened into other areas, such as biotechnology, energy and materials research, and conservation and renewable energy. At the end of the Cold War, waste treatment and cleanup of previously contaminated sites became a priority. In 2006 Montana Local 841 merged with Local 732 tripling our Geographical area.We now cover 250,000 square miles of jurisdiction between Montana and Idaho.